Overflow Pipe – Dripping & Brickwork Discolouration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I live on the 1st Floor of a small block of privately owned residential flats and I have been recently advised by my management company that my Overflow Pipe which is situated on the outside of the property block side wall is currently overflowing and dripping with a liquid substance which I believe is water and this is now falling onto the brickwork and causing the Bricks to discolour since the pipe is situated at least 10 Feet above ground level.

I have no idea why this pipe is leaking water and more to the point why the Brickwork is now beginning to Dis-colour a mouldy Green colour.

Question 1: What is an Overflow Pipe and what is it connected to and what instances would it require the water to Overflow ?

Question 2: How does a person go about fixing this kind of problem and How much would it cost to repair and How long would a job like this normally take to fix ?

Question 3: Why is the Brickwork turning a mouldy Green Colour and How can this problem be best rectified ?

Any help and advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Wolverine747

Sponsored Links
Could be an overflow pipe from your wc or heating system or could be a dripping pressure relief valve from a combi boiler.

Andy

What's the best way to check And to establish what is causing the dripping problem ?

How can this be fixed ?

Also - What can be done about the Discolouration of the outside Brickwork ?

Thanks
Wolverine747

An overflow is actually a warning pipe.

Most older WC cisterns have one and all cold water tanks have them. (Tanks to feed either hot water cylinders or feed and expansion tanks on central heating)

When the water level in a cistern or tank gets too high it will run out of the overflow. The usual cause is the fill valve needs attention. Other names for the fill valve are Ball valve, float valve.
First you find the tank or cistern that has filled up so much that water is going out the overflow. Then you attend to the valve. If is often just a case of replacing a washer in it (10p) or a diaphragm washer in a cistern float valve (50p). If you call out a plumber then expect to pay his minimum call out fee! Time to fix around 1/2 hour or more depending on access.

Sometimes you can adjust the valve so it shuts off earlier, but that is usually just putting off dealing with the washer.

On an old installation or on some commercial installations the warning pipe is copper. Slow flowing water through the pipe with the air allows the water to dissolve a little copper that is corroding and it is the copper or its oxide that is green and left behind when the water evaporates.

I don't have a clue what will clean it off brickwork!

Alternatively a wet wall can encourage algae to grow so a even a plastic overflow pipe can result in green (often slimey) brickwork. Stop the water and the algae will probably die off. You may be able to scrub it off.

landtandy has already flagged it might actually be a pressure relief pipe from a boiler which would be something else all together.

Sponsored Links
Hi Blagard,

Apologies for the delay in responding as got very busy at work recently.

Thank you very much for your reply and the concise information provided which is exactly what I was after and required.

I will have a look at the WC Cistern as advised and check the float valve and state of the washer as described.

Many Thanks.
Wolverine747

Question 3: Why is the Brickwork turning a mouldy Green Colour and How can this problem be best rectified ?

Any help and advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Wolverine747
as said - repair the float valve . But the pipe , like millions of others will be sloping back to the wall allowing water to dribble down the wall . Reason - the holes were cut with a hammer and chisel and no allowance for the correct outward slope :idea: Fix - if it`s plastic , fit an elbow on the end .If it`s copper it can be bent down slightly . OR change the flush to a flap valve with internal overflow .

Hi Guys,

Thank you so far for your comments on my Overflow pipe problem as very much appreciated.

FYI – The Overflow pipe is a copper pipe and I have managed to take some pictures of the problem in question

View media item 75168
View media item 75169
Can anyone give me their opinion regarding my problem after looking at the photo’s attached.

All thoughts & comments on this matter are greatly received.

Thanks
Wolverine747

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me their opinion regarding my Overflow Leaking Pipe problem after looking at the photo’s attached and where its showing the Green Mould.

All thoughts & comments on this matter are greatly received.

Thanks
Wolverine747

As said, you need to check your toilet(s), and any tanks you may have in the loft, to see if they are overflowing.

By the look of that staining on the brickwork, it's been overflowing for weeks.

Call a plumber, he'll have it done in minutes.

A steam cleaner might be worth a go to clean the bricks.

Hopefully he not still out there scrubbing!!
Personally I'd use a scrubbing brush and soapy water. But whatever happens you'd get a clean patch.

The green bricks in post 7 above can easily be cleaned but the white area needs more attention to blend into the existing bricks.

Dont know about your brick wall as cant see it.

You need to get quotes from brick cleaning restoration companies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back