Overhead power to shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have power to my shed (from previous owner) from the house the cable supplies lighting and socket, the cable comes out of my house at Ceiling height and goes straight into the shed a distance of about a metre. I have been told by an electrician that this cable is sagging and needs to be supported to comply with regs with a supporting cable? Can anyone explain I really don't get what they are on about I have asked several times but I just don't seem to understand, anyone got a picture by way of an example of what is required.
Thanks Tully.

Sponsored Links
Struggling to find a decent picture. He's talking about catenary wire, basically a 3mm steel rope that would run from the wall to the shed (slightly above the cable) and this then supports the weight of the cable - stopping the droop in the middle and relieving the cable of stress.

Some limited info here

Were they wearing polo neck sweaters? Did they have frizzy hair?
Don't trust them, lock your doors and hide in the attic till Shaun arrives!!! :/

Joking aside, they're referring to a messenger wire. It's to take the weig of the wire, and avoid any future hazards, one being that it's not pulled out of the end where it's connected.

image.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you all so much, I get the idea now, the existing cable is a heavy looking round black cable and weighty, the picture helped and also the link. I have never heard of catenary wire before but it makes prefect sense now. You see in my mind I was thinking if it needs support ito put it in a plastic sleeve like a piece of waste pipe with a fixed bracket at each end, no wonder I didnt have a clue what the guy meant thanks again.

Look at the ends of the cable - is it armoured? If so, how will you dis/reconnect one end to slide conduit over it?

You could just make a support out of a piece of wood, or galvanised cable tray.

Photos?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back