Overheat Lockout? If so, will it reset itself?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Can anyone give me a bit of advice?

Glow-worm Flexicom cx range combi boiler, 18 months old, serviced a week ago and apparently clean and tidy.

CH stopped after a couple of hours of working nicely. Hot water working fine.
I have the idiot's guide, and that gives a total of two reasons for CH cutting out.

1. condensate drain blockage
As a safety feature the boiler will stop working if the condensate drain becomes blocked. During freezing conditions this may be due to the forming of ice in the condense drain external to the house. Release an ice blockage by the use of warm cloths on the pipe. The boiler should then restart.
2. overheat reset
The boiler software is designed to recognise the potential for an overheat lockout and will shutdown before this happens. To restart the boiler, press the reset button

I had a punt at it being the overheat reset (it had, after all, been running nicely til then) and pressed the reset button. Happily, it started up, and all has been well since then. I haven't had the courage to climb a ladder and inspect the condensate drain. :oops:

Assuming that it IS the overheat reset (and I can only guess what an overheat lockout is), my question is this:

If I go away for a few days and it happens again, will I come home to frozen pipes and flooding, or will it have the brains to reset itself and re-start the CH? The above quote is all I have about re-starting.

Huge thanks for reading this far!

Andy

Sponsored Links
As the book says; "press the button". The boiler cannot pres ititself, so if it goes whilst you're away, it will stay off.

Thanks oilhead.
Any precautions I can take? Have the thermostat set low, for example?

Is it worth a callout?

If anyone's keen, I'd be interested in a link to an explanation of these lockouts - ta!

OK, another approach.

Can I shut off the mains water at the stopcock and drain the cold taps but still leave the CH on (thermostat low)? Or does the CH need some cold feed from the mains? Getiing quite stressed now! :(

Sponsored Links
Stress ye not, Andy - its perfectly ok to turn the mains water off and leave the house. The central heating is on a separate, sealed circuit.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back