overheating espace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
please can anyone help? My wifes espace(1997 turbo diesel) on a trip tp Spain popped a heater hose off the pipe and the first warning was the beeper and the stop light coming on. After putting the hose back on it seemed to run ok. But when climbing or carrying weight it overheats and only cools down when the heater is put on full speed.On the journey back it was ok running at 50 MPH but above that started to overheat. The radiator is hot at the bottom and cold at the top. I reckon it is either the head gasket, or the radiator choked , or the thermostat stuck. any advice is appreciated.Where is the stat on this motor anyway? What should I check first? Sorry for being so longwinded but I am trying to give as much info as possible. By the way the motor drove great all the way from Spain, but at 50 MPH it took two days to return, great holiday

Sponsored Links
great how do I do that? there is a valve with a lock nut on it on one of the hoses but It looks rusted solid. thanks for the fast response. PLease don't tell me to take off the heater hose off as it took an hour and a lot of swearing and skin off my knuckles to put back on. thanks a lot

Sorry, don't know offhand. The Haines Manual should help. Just make sure you don't break into the air con. system.

;)

Sponsored Links
Its worth getting a new expansion tank cap too, the pipe may have popped off due to a pressure build up.
I'd tend to agree with the airlock theory. Look on the coolant hoses for what looks like a tyre dustcap, they are the bleed points.
Another way to do it is to run the engine with the expansion cap off and keep the bottle filled to the brim. When it gets up to temperature the thermostat will open and spew water (and the air) out of the expansion tank. as soon as it does this, turn off engine and top water up as required.

Btw, i take it the car has antifreeze in it and not just neat water?

thanks, stupid question,but do i bleed the system with the engine running or just by topping up the expansion bottle? I have found one bleed point on a rubber hose coming from what I think is the bottom hose, there is also a small bleed point at the top of the radiator. I cannot feel any heat at the top of the radiator but can feel it hot at the bottom is this normal?
Thanks for the help

Sorry forgot about the anti freeze bit. It has only water in at the moment, but as soon as I know everything is fine I will add anti freeze before it gets too cold thanks

Sorry forgot about the anti freeze bit. It has only water in at the moment, but as soon as I know everything is fine I will add anti freeze before it gets too cold thanks

If you havent got antifreeze/coolant mix the car will overheat! Fill it with the correct mix of coolant, and try again. If you unscrew the bleed screws a little with the engine running, you should get coolant come out. mWhen it does, the air is bled.

thanks Neo I didn't realize that would affect the cooling. I will put anti freeze in as soon as possible. and let you know how it goes. Thanks again

thanks Neo I didn't realize that would affect the cooling. I will put anti freeze in as soon as possible. and let you know how it goes. Thanks again

Don't use cheap halfrauds stuff, if the pocket will allow get it from the dealer

Thanks Neo, put anti freeze in and bled it also changed the pressure cap just in case. Seems to be all right now, but will find out next year when we drive down to Spain again Thanks for all the help

Sponsored Links
Back