Overiding Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The requirement is for over-ride switches on a two way light circuit on a communal stair case.

Override on when necessary for safety in the area by ensuring lights are on. Override off to enable safe changing of lamps what ever some one does with the normal switches.

The client has been told by his ( new ) electrician that such over rides are not permitted.

Are there any applicable regulations about the fitting of over ride switches.

(edited to add that the ciruit to be used is known )

Sponsored Links
Overide on not a problem as it just a switching configuation based on client preference.
Overide off no different to isolating at DB (as long as left to function after maintenance - same as remembering to re-energise circuit)

I can't see a problem Bernard

surely the comunal staircase should have some form of emergency lighting that comes on when the supply is cut..?

this should satisfy any regulations regarding lighting for safety..

why not just use the breaker to kill the lights for maintenance?

I think it's the overide to turn them on regardless of the user switches that might be the cause for concern..

Sponsored Links
because if someone decides to change the light bulb outside their door with someone watching the switches to stop the lights being turned on, and the landlord decides to override the lights from wherever the override will be hidden ( won't be a general use thing i'd expect ), then they could get a shock..

I don't know about others, but I'm yet to receieve a shock from replacing lamps while the light is on, I'm not sure how others change lamps, but I generally hold onto the glass bit ;)

My communal lighting circuits consist of electronic time lags all connected as one ways switching the same lamps.

Thus, a one way plateswitch in a lockable cabinet (usually the plant room) will suffice as override. To change lamps, you should lock off the circuit.

As to being told you can't (have an override, that is), by whom & why?

Over-ride off switches for changing lamps are not required and IMO a separate switch would just complicate things. As ricile and SS have said, circuit isolation for maintenance is via the fuse/MCB and if the lamps are in a Landlords area tenants should not be touching them for all sorts of H&S reasons.

Over-ride on for safety is a different kettle of fish. Who's doing the over-riding and why?

As you know there are duty of care regulations which apply to Landlords (and others) so if the over-ride switch is for general tenants and as your post suggests the lights are required for safety reasons there may be cause for concern.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back