overlap busbar fingers ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 busbars, a 7 finger and a 5 finger.

I have a series of 7 MCBs and want to add another 2.

Can I simply overlap the finger in the last MCB to extend the series of mcbs on the rail or do I HAVE to get a new 9 or longer busbar?

Sponsored Links
you can over lap just bend a little kink in the bar so as it fits parallel to the other one and clamp up as normal. it is better to connect the 2 over a couple of Mcb's rather than just the one as the screws can come loose

Great, I had fingured I'd need to kink it to get it parallel for a good connection.

Hadn't thought if overlaping through 2 ways but that sound more secure.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Even better, buy a replacement busbar with the number of ways you require.

Overlapping bus bars should be rivetted or bolted together.

Overlapping them in the clamp of an MCB or similar may not apply enough pressure to ensure a permanent good contact between the busbars.

The clamp in the MCB is designed to exert the force from the screw into a small area of the bus bar and clamp giving that area sufficient pressure to ensure (?) a permanent low resistance connection at max 45 amps. If the same force from the screw also is spread over a larger area of overlapped busbars the pressure ( force divided by area ) between the bus bars is lower while the current from bus bar to bus bar may be higher.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back