P&O admits breaking law

I heard comment that fire and hire was mentioned in the house. I think earlier than this particular event.

Much like other things that should not have been sold. Of late I have watched AlJ news. Yesterday it was followed by a program on drinking water and went through finances on Thames Water. Bought up by an Australian company that has a nickname of the Millionaire's Club. It seems outfits like this like water for instance as there is always growth due to population increase. True but exaggerated IMHO. Anyway they make their money by paying high dividends and increasing debt.

;) You in particular are well aware of the famous lady that sold all. The problem with this is that in terms of utilities it doesn't make much sense as it leaves things open for situations like Thames Water and now our docks in another respect. All utilities really. Now why sell? A side effect is reducing gov expenditure. That in part comes about because when the gov own things increasing prices or making people redundant is not a good way of getting votes. Things finish up being subsidised. Even council houses.

Once sold the gov also gets corporation tax if they make a profit so we pay that plus dividends. Things get split up to supposedly to cause competition in some of the utilities. It needs more god like high salary twerps to run them. On gas and electricity due to nationwide networks it doesn't work out so well. A group looks after that the others are just retailers. BT is another example with odd side effects.

Debt figures too - it's not on the gov's books anymore. It's still there though and we are paying it.

However the great British public are convinced that privatisation is the only way. Odd that a number of countries manage some areas without it.

So labour sell the docks. Money has probably been spent on it as a result. If kept were would that have come from? Debt. They gain some money. That really figures at times and it often seems to save them paying for upgrades,

NI tax take and where it's spent is an interesting area. You may find out how interesting if pure NHS funding is looked into. Privatising that would mean a company would have to set the taxation rate or be paid directly. Health systems in some countries fall behind where they should be because correcting it will need an increase in taxation.

I can agree with some of that, but I see as is often the case, vaguely accusative, unexplained, disjointed assumptions and assertions which don't follow....

Sponsored Links
I base it on facts so see it however you like. The tricky part is doing something about it.
Trying to work out what you're trying to say is the first problem... A_eyes jumped on everyone but he gave up with your posts.

Frankly companies, shares, dividends and corporation tax exist as does debt, So I assume you think these aren't fact. More correctly you do not like the message. Few do.

It is a little more difficult to tie that in with state ownership. That seems to be rather difficult for some.

LOL Then comes moans that we don't own our ports.

Sponsored Links
Isn't this P&O big boss a remainer?

Looks like one.

Peter-Hebblethwaite-1.jpg

I hear that Boris is also jumping on the bandwagon for saying the P&O CEO should resign for doing something illegal.

Boris has also ensured that he does not get invited to any future Downing st parties.
Pot>Kettle>Black springs to mind.

Surely Johnson always goes to Downing Street parties.

He's just unaware of it (he claims)

NO I meant that the P&O CEO does not get invited to the parties :)

lol

At the end of it, the P&O staff will remain sacked and have their pay offs, the company will continue to sail using cheaper staff and the CEO will remain.

I know this for fact, I looked in my crystal ball and it all became clear showing Boris at a party on a P&O cruise in about a years time. :)

Interesting that its being reported that the legal loophole that allowed P&O to declare the redundancies in the 'flag state' that the ship is registered in rather than the UK is a EU directive that we had to adopt while we were in the EU. Now that we're not in the EU, we now have the ability to reverse that directive to force ferry operators operating in British waters to pay our minimum wage.

I'm sure the remoaners will say that its all Chris Grayling's fault as he was transport secretary at the time and its nothing to do with the EU.

I still think their legal assessment was wrong. Either way, the government seems to be pushing through amendments before the consultation period ends.

Interesting that its being reported that the legal loophole that allowed P&O to declare the redundancies in the 'flag state' that the ship is registered in rather than the UK is a EU directive that we had to adopt while we were in the EU. Now that we're not in the EU, we now have the ability to reverse that directive to force ferry operators operating in British waters to pay our minimum wage.

I'm sure the remoaners will say that its all Chris Grayling's fault as he was transport secretary at the time and its nothing to do with the EU.
where you announce something means little
it's the terms and conditions of employment and the relevant maritime law where you operate that matters ??

I heard various rumblings on the TV about taking some sort of action but it wasn't clear what.

As to what P&O have done - broke employment laws. I'd assume that allows the people who suffered to claim unfair dismissal or similar. In this case they would receive compensation as they clearly have been. Not 100% sure but for better than average redundancy pay they have to sign their rights away. Legally in some cases that can be meaningless. For instance I have signed one in the past stating I wont take my knowledge to a competitive company. It included a payment to do just that.

Statutory redundancy pay always has caps on on it and companies often use these figures.
https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/redundancy-pay

This and early retirement figured when lots of larger scale manufacturers decided to get out of the UK. ;) Those figures look to be a touch better than they were then.

Sponsored Links
Back