Packing between steel beam and brickwork

Do I need to use sharp sand in the mix or is normal building sand ok?

Sponsored Links
Sharp sand. Semi dry mix. In underpinning it's not unusual to dry pack 40/50mm. Another common remedy, if you're concerned, is use a 10 or 15mm steel bearing plate on the pad stone.

Steel is now in and the gap is a brick laid flat plus 20mm max.

Shall I lay a row of bricks on a thin bed then pack the top 10-15mm when gone off?
20210823_164402.jpg

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a point master gun. Best thing since sliced slate when installing beams and bricks etc.

Yes a brick plus a joint either side.
Is it one of these bad boys you refer to as being the tool for the job? <Link>

Thanks Woody. Just ordered one. Could have done with one of those when i repointed my chimney.

Woody the splodgemaster 3000 worked a treat today. Wish I had it when I repointed the chimney would have saved a lot of time.

So I have bricked up between the strong boys as below. 5mm ish bed between brick and steel and 10mm ish between brick and original brick.

No way of knowing if the joint is fully filled as I can't see it but the tool sends the muck out at quite a pressure so I think that with a push in with the finger trowel and a further shot and I should be covered.

How long should I leave it before I remove the strong boys and infill where they were. Can they all be removed together? Realistically is there anything that can go wrong with the process I have followed?

20210828_191205.jpg
20210828_191145.jpg

Is 1 day enough to dry out sufficiently to remove the props or should I leave longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back