pad stone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have 2 steels 152x89x16 spanning 2.5m and wanted to ask if i could cut down a padstone which is 450x225x100 in half (450x100x100)to rest the steels on the SE said to use 3 courses of enginnering brick but using the padstones would be easier,
thanks for any help.

Jsmithy.

Sponsored Links
It would appear that the SE wants 225mm depth of solid support for the steels. Hence the 3 courses of eng. bricks.
Cutting the padstones, as you suggest, Gives you only 100mm depth of solid support.
The SE has worked this out. You should go with it.
Do it right and be safe.
As a bricklayer myself i would just follow the SEs reccomendation. Even if i think he's over spec'ed.

Ask your engineer

It might or might not do, and the BCO will want the calcs to prove it and the thing built to the calcs

Thanks for the reply,
Yeah i suspected this but didnt want to bother the se with another question....
just to ask,
the calcs say the steel should have a bearing onto the brick of not less than 100mm but the wall which the steels are runnung onto is an exterior pebble dashed wall and the bricks which are dashed are set back on the face bricks by 20mm plus.
so the bearing is only 80mm is this a non issue or should i inform se for new calcs?
probably a silly q but im here i may as well get goog advise:)
thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think you have to cut out an area of brickwork underneath where your steel will sit. And replace whats there with 3 courses of engineering bricks. The engineering bricks, as a steel support, are so the new bricks will form a perfectly flat surface for the steel to sit on as well as for their strength. You can also build the three courses of eng. bricks to the exact height so as match the top of padstone height at the other end of steel.
I'm guessing that your house has the bottom 12 courses or so as face brickwork then the courses after that are set back 20mm for pebbledash. I'm sure your SE would have noticed this and doesn't see it as a problem. If you're in doubt mention it to him.

I think you have to cut out an area of brickwork underneath where your steel will sit. And replace whats there with 3 courses of engineering bricks. The engineering bricks, as a steel support, are so the new bricks will form a perfectly flat surface for the steel to sit on as well as for their strength. You can also build the three courses of eng. bricks to the exact height so as match the top of padstone height at the other end of steel.
I'm guessing that your house has the bottom 12 courses or so as face brickwork then the courses after that are set back 20mm for pebbledash. I'm sure your SE would have noticed this and doesn't see it as a problem. If you're in doubt mention it to him.

Thanks for reply,
Just to clarify, the bottom 5 courses of the house from the footing up are facing brick then the brick are set back and then rendered then dashed, the house was built in the late 50's.
Ive spoken to the SE about the padstone and he said it would be ok to use and mentiond the bricks being set back and he said it should strong enough (2.5m span with solid concrete block and window opening)and be ok?......no more than that really.
I asked if it was worth sending the steel into the internal wall for extra strength and he said that it wasnt necessery,
Has anyone had a simalar issue? cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back