Paddy joke

8) Methinks the contributions to this thread reveal a lot more about some of the individual posters than they do about the Irish.....

Bel

Sponsored Links
Wether or not a joke is deemed to be PC, a person cannot help if they find something amusing.How many Irish comedians did you see taking the **** out of their fellow countrymen during the Comedian programmes of the 70's or playing on their nationality (Jimmy Cricket)
You have to decide for yourself if the joke has been borne out of hatred for a particular group

ricicle said:
Wether or not a joke is deemed to be PC, a person cannot help if they find something amusing.
I agree. But many decades ago I found the mere mention of the word "poo" indescribably side-splitting. I like to think I've improved and matured since then - we never stop learning if the desire is there.

How many Irish comedians did you see taking the p**s out of their fellow countrymen during the Comedian programmes of the 70's
If I really try hard and force myself past the cringe barrier into my memory of that hideous programme, I would hazard that it was all of them. There's a reason why that program isn't popular anymore.

...or playing on their nationality (Jimmy Cricket)
He might well be a contemporary comedian, but I can't attribute one memorable moment of my enjoyment to his existence.

You have to decide for yourself if the joke has been borne out of hatred for a particular group
Hatred? I'm a bit baffled by the introduction of that word. :confused:

To those people who would find "The Comedians" funny if it were broadcast today, is it easier for you to think that "political correctness" (whatever that means to those of you who use the term) is responsible for you being in a minority, rather than some other reason?

this is getting a bit heavy :rolleyes: jokes about irish, scottish, blacks, jews queers, the old ,gingers etc etc etc have always been told and always will

edit homosexuals ( i refuse to call them gays )

Sponsored Links
poshman said:
this is getting a bit heavy
Well don't read it then. :rolleyes:

jokes about irish, scottish, blacks, jews ****, the old ,gingers etc etc etc have always been told and always will
So, bearing in mind that I've never said that they [the jokes] shouldn't be told, and merely investigated why the OP (and others) found his joke funny, do you have any contribution to make to that question?

Why is it OK for me to make jokes about Fat Welsh B@stards just because I happen to be one?

Won't it offend other Fat Welsh B@stards??

securespark said:
Why is it OK for me to make jokes about Fat Welsh B@stards just because I happen to be one?
Surely you're in the best position to answer that one? :confused:

Won't it offend other Fat Welsh B@stards??
It might offend fat b@stards to be tarred with the Welsh brush. ;)

Softus said:
Hatred? I'm a bit baffled by the introduction of that word. :confused:

Sorry, wrong word - dislike maybe?

You could even say misunderstanding but that would lead me into saying that the perpetrators of such jokes would require re-educating into understanding the consequences of stereotyping/insulting that particular group or any other.

Just homed in on this one.. I thought it was a hilarious joke & I`m a big fat Irish black homo with lesbo tendencies, with a ginger haired scottish mother with buck teeth & a spick Father with one leg. (My sister is also a prostitute) probably. I also own a blind goldfish, & Des O`Connor should be murdered or at least seriously maimed.

Not a joke but a true encounter with and irishman.

I went to Dublin on business a few years ago looking at an office refurb.

The place was out of town so I got a taxi from the airport to the site via a regional office, after the meeting I walked out of the building and went down the road to find a place of liquid refreshment.

Whilst enjoying a coke in the 'Rose and Crown' (made up pub to protect the innocent) I asked the barman for the number of a local cab firm to take me to the airport.

The barman said no problem and leaned out of the door at the back of the bar and started quoting a number, which I fed into my mobile ready to dial.

I thanked him, finished my drink and dialed the number, the cab firm said it was no trouble to take me to the airport in about 10 mins and asked where I was, I told them and they gave me directions to their office.

It was across the road from the pub!!!! the barman was leaning out of the bar door to read the number from the sign above the door of the cab firm:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back in the 1980's the area around Cork still had magneto ringing phones where it was necesary to crank a handle to ring the operator. There was a newspaper article at the time about the phone company going over to satellite links to improve the networks. Some wag read the article and turned to his mate and asked "" Who the bl---dy h-ll is going to be up there to turn the handle ""

Belrose said:
8) Methinks the contributions to this thread reveal a lot more about some of the individual posters than they do about the Irish.....

Bel
:LOL: :LOL:

Softus said:
For example, I'm a big fan of the late Tommy Cooper.

Ah the great Tommy Cooper...
"Doctor, I can't pronounce my F's, T's and H's."
"Well you can't say fairer than that then"
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back