padstone size doesn't seem standard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
so i am pricing up a job so i know roughly what it will cost and i've used this document http://www.mendip.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=1666&p=0 which gives beam size and padstone required for typical applications.

The trouble is every builders merchant i've rung only does a 440x215x102 padstone, which isn't even the same size as what is quoted for the second biggest size (450x225x100) and as i am looking at a ~3m span it says 600x225x100 which i have not yet come close to finding.

Is the document just overkill on the padstone?

The rsj is going to sit on brickwall either end. It's a 1950's brick and is pretty strong (need an sds to drill it). Can i use a smaller padstone and put some engineering bricks in as well?

Sponsored Links
Just make one!

It's really easy to construct out of some ply board and you will probably find it will be half the cost if not less than buying one from a builders yard

is that allowed? i have no problem making one as long as it will pass any regs.
thanks

Those figures are complete nonsense; for typical domestic loading, the padstones would be much smaller. Really, they should be calculated by an SE.

Sponsored Links
Making one yourself out of concrete is not generally good practice, as the compressive strength is unknown.

We often use cut-down lengths of pre-cast concrete lintel, or even engineering bricks in hard mortar.

ah ok. maybe have to bite the bullet and speak to a SE. Although thinking about it i might have a look at my brothers house as that is currently being built and has much bigger spans with the same size beam so whatever they used there must be ok in a smaller application. It would be a lot cheaper for the smaller pads as i can get them locally as the above sizes i would have to be specially ordered.

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back