Padstone

Just spoken to my structural engineer and has told me just to lay three courses of class B engineering bricks. So that has saved me some money.
Hopefully he has advised as to whether to use solid or perforated bricks? And hopefully specified the mortar mix to be used?

Sponsored Links
Wtf? You pay him for one thing, then when you ask, he says to use something completely different.

Wtf? You pay him for one thing, then when you ask, he says to use something completely different.
Or because the client is having difficulty complying with what has been speced he has given an alternative to help the client out. What a helpful SE. You have a negative outlook Woody.

Sponsored Links
I think it was more me not understanding the calculation, there is a lot of information on them most of which may as well be a different language.

Or because the client is having difficulty complying
Like our latest beam install...

Opening on the left and right of the steel landing zone meaning incoming reinforced conc' lintels landing on the pad zone. No chance of a three course conc lump going here. Ive packed and bricked with solids as best I can. I'm sure the existing lintels will be doing me a favour. And Woody - I'm sorry for not complying.

Or because the client is having difficulty complying with what has been speced he has given an alternative to help the client out. What a helpful SE. You have a negative outlook Woody.
I live and work in the real world.

A good engineer specifies something that his client can actually get hold of easily, or construct easily, or purchase cheaply.

What the numpty has done is either used a programme to throw out a random padstone that works via calculation, or just used the same calculations that have been used on other jobs.

Either way no thought for the client, and the only help this engineer was giving was to his bank balance.

Maybe you could make your own engineering bricks, 1 to 6 clay:spit and a hairdryer for 30 minutes on setting 2 should be more than enough?

Maybe you could make your own engineering bricks? 1:6 and fire with a hairdryer for 30 minutes on setting 2 will be fine

Like our latest beam install...

Opening on the left and right of the steel landing zone meaning incoming reinforced conc' lintels landing on the pad zone. No chance of a three course conc lump going here. Ive packed and bricked with solids as best I can. I'm sure the existing lintels will be doing me a favour. And Woody - I'm sorry for not complying.
Then why didn't the designer design something to fit, not just give you details of something totally inappropriate?

When you instruct an engineer you don't say "Can you please work out a beam and padstone take many weeks and make me wait, charge me top money, and then please make sure I can't actually buy what you specify, and if I could, make sure it don't fit, so that then I need to phone you up for alternatives while my builders sit around waiting".

Or do you? :rolleyes:

Then why didn't the designer design something to fit, not just give you details of something totally inappropriate?

When you instruct an engineer you don't say "Can you please work out a beam and padstone take many weeks and make me wait, charge me top money, and then please make sure I can't actually buy what you specify, and if I could, make sure it don't fit, so that then I need to phone you up for alternatives while my builders sit around waiting".

Or do you? :rolleyes:
The SE would not have known about the big chunky lintel on the left, unless he can see through plaster.:rolleyes:

unless he can see through plaster
Perhaps at engineering school they don't teach that doors and windows have lintels above them?

Or that in the old days, lintels were bigger, and bearings might be longer.

As I said, some "engineers" just print stuff out of a programme. Easy money

Perhaps at engineering school they don't teach that doors and windows have lintels above them?
I'm sure they did, but our engineer was away when they handed out X-ray specs. Perhaps if the crafty blighters hadn't fooled all of us by blocking off the opening, tsk!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back