Padstones

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I'm about to start a loft conversion and about to fit the steel work. I have 2 x 10400mm 203x133x30kg steels (spliced) that run the length of the bungalow and these are bolted to 203x102x23kg beams that run in line with the gable ends (acting like lintels running over windows/doors).
My question is, when fitting the beams into the gables, is it best to leave a gap running between the beam and brickwork so they are bearing onto the padstones only, or shall I run a bed of mortar for the beam to sit on aswell? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
What has the person who calculated your beams specified at the bearings?
If an SE does calcs for the beams, he/she is supposed to detail the bearings of those beams as well. Your house might be built of straw bales for all the SE knows.

If an SE does calcs for the beams, he/she is supposed to detail the bearings of those beams as well. Your house might be built of straw bales for all the SE knows.

you know full well the OP is going it alone......I hope his house falls down when no-one is there, if he is

Sponsored Links

you know full well the OP is going it alone......I hope his house falls down when no-one is there, if he is

:evil:

Hi Tony, the building regs use 440 x 215 x 100 padstones. I've just never fitted beams this way before so was just wondering whether to leave a gap or not. Thanks

Thanks Woody, that's great.

WabbitPoo, is there any point in trolling DIY websites if you aren't offering anything constructive? Why would my house fall down? I've fitted a few supporting steels before that are still standing, just never this way, which is why I was asking. Get a grip.

That'll be a concrete block then (440 x 215 x 100mm), get high density blocks.

You don't seem to be grasping that just because a block can bear a certain Newton load, does not mean it is suitable as a padstone

Building blocks have air voids and are not solid concrete like padstones are

Thanks for your input guys. Woody, I've ordered the padstones from Travis Perkins, I just wondered about leaving a gap or not for the steel/lintels. Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back