Paint and Waterproof wooden floor in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey

Am very new to the whole D.I.Y world, but am wanting to sort the floor in the bathroom, is an old victorian building so nice old wooden floor, but wanted to paint it white and possibly varnish or something to keep it clean and waterproof somehow?

Also need to fill some gaps in the boards, most are small, but also being a bathroom guess this needs to prevent damp leeks also?

like i said, aint got a clue so please explain before i start this.

Finally, am based in the UK, London, so would be good if the items needed were avalible over here.

Thanks in advance for your help. :D

Sponsored Links
there are quite a few posts and views on this subject which you may be best to search and read up on.

over a period of time i've arrived at this method - using laminate. i take out the sink & toilet, screw down any loose floorboards (be careful of services underneath of which there are always many) fit the thick laminate underlay (not foam), fit tile effect laminate (does not have to have to be the waterproof type), apply thin bead of pva to both fixing edges of each plank as i lay each, apply caulk around the perimeter of the laminate (gap to wall), put back fittings using flexible tap connectors, leave pan loose (ie don't screw down - apply clear silicon around base to loosely fix).

the trouble with leaving the existing floorboards is as you've pointed out - the gaps. i've never satisfactorily managed to get them sealed. the best i got to it is to use external frame sealer but it's not brill.

if the gaps are not sealed then water stains on your ceilings will result. depending on how much dampness v ventilation there is also the risk of rot.

there is a recent post on lino which would be a cheaper, quicker and easier solution. just depends on what look your after.

pretty much as jerry m way

except repositon toilet mark holes in the laminate and cut with a 18mm spade bit 'fill the hole with mastic/silicone a few mm proud to seal cut edges

position throne and screw tightly down 'fill screw heads with silicone or cover with petrolium jelly

if the floor needs to move/expand under the throne at a later date loosten screws a few turns if the floor dosnt move check theres a proper gap at the edge/around waste pipes ect

if so just jump kick on the floor to push it towards the toilet and break the bond
retighten screws [replace if corroded]and fill heads with silicone or petrolium jelly again

and as jerry says you cant realy seal floor boards pereminantly as wood is a living mooving material

other possibly more suitable finnishes are lino or tiles otherwise wipe up all spils on the laminate immediatly the happen and dont leave wet for more thasn a few mins and that includes even moist floor mats :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back