Paint Basics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a room which I want to repaint, a complete novice here but time on hands and willing to learn - Ive read around here abit.

The woodwork (windows/door/skirting) was painted white ( I think gloss oil-based) the last time. I've been told to repaint using water based paint ( a big plus for me is the less potent smell because of my allergies).

Do I really need to sand down the existing woodwork first ? Abit of a pain, especially around the window/door edges. How about if I just repaint using oil gloss again, does it still need to be sanded? Having said that the skirting and door are new, so will be easier to sand.

Also, I'm not sure on painting in this order - Ceilings-Walls-Wood. Surely it would be better to do wood first, its easier to mask and easier to avoid getting paint on wood, rather than avoid getting paint on walls - I'm sure Im missing something.

Any advice apprecaited. Thanks

Sponsored Links
An old rule I was taught with decorating is to start at the top and work your way down.. so ceilings, walls then wood for me is the way I always do it! And fresh wood work that is still curing and then taped up to protect any wall paint splashes, well, the tape can lift the fresh paint off.

Sanding is part of prep, and prep although dull, is probably the most important part of making your paintwork look good. Sanding provides a key for the new paint to adhere properly, as well as minimise drips, smooth finish etc. Makes no difference if you use oil or water based paint, sand it and sand it well!

If you don't sand the woodwork it is far more likely to chip or scratch.

Waterbased are non yellowing and less smelly, they are also less durable and it is more difficult to achieve a decent finish.

I use waterbased finishes under duress but almost always use an oilbased undercoat to get the desired colour.

Sponsored Links
Hi poster897, always better to sand down old paintwork on skirting, doors etc. When your painting always start with the ceiling then the walls the the skirtings this is the normal way to carry out a paint job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back