Paint bubbling on wall with brown liquid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Today I noticed a bubble forming underneath some paint on my living room wall which was applied over 2 years ago.

Upon closer inspection It felt like there was water underneath, so I made a little hole and a load of brown sticky liquid seeped out.

I cleaned it all out and forgot about it until today when I i noticed it again but larger and more brown liquid.

Has anyone seen this before and have any advice?

I have checked under the floors upstairs in case there was a small leak but there is not.

Thanks in advance

Martyn

Sponsored Links
It has rained, but nothing worse then over the past few years.
It isnt anywhere near the chimney .
I've uploaded some picures below.

Unfortunately I wiped away all the liquid before posting

My wife has pulled a bit of the paint away.

One of the photos shows the wall after all the liquid has been scraped towards the hole

1502313641786-639239481.jpg 1502313671836-199225086.jpg 15023137391901194699273.jpg 1502313778636-2001073488.jpg

Thanks again

any incontinent pets?

radiator water can be brown, and old Fernox used to dry sticky then crystalline. But you say you've looked for leaks.

Sponsored Links
Nope no birds or anything.

Yeah no leaks in the radiators upstairs.

It's just strange that it started in the middle and not at the edges.

Nope, the other side is in my kitchen.

The wall to the right with the picture frame on it is an outside wall
But is unaffected

kitchen, eh?

is there a cooker hood, or a food cabinet on the other side that might contain a leaking container? Or any pipes?

If the paint is coming off as clean as that, it may have been sealed with PVA prior to painting, which is a big No No !!!

The wall was painted with a mix of white paint and water prior to painting is that what you mean?

No that's a mist coat which is correct. Sometimes people use PVA first but that will cause problem later.
Think you need to scrape off as much of the paint as you can and seal it with a decent stain block and start again.

Just thought id get back to all that helped in here,
Turns out the water was seeping down from behind the current walls.

the only owners had put cladding up over tiles and it seems that some sort of condensation was building up and eventually causing it to drip and over time messed up my walls.

bathroom remodel now in progress :unsure:

Thanks all for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back