Paint front of house exterior - advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We had the front of our house re-rendered and painted a few years ago. Despite the guy doing a mist coat and then a couple more coats its faded a lot (gets a lot of sun) and needs tidying up. I was looking to paint it myself but need a bit of advice:
- there are no peeling bits - do I need to sand it/scrape it down or can I just paint over?
- I want to do it as cheaply as possible but appreciate a ladder might not be the best option - I was looking to hire a scaffold tower or something similar (seems cheaper than getting proper scaffolding put up?) and paint off that. Do you think this would be ok?
- I guess I need a big thick roller (and brush to do edges). Any advice on what to use?
Any other help/advice would be great - particularly on how to avoid marks where paint overlaps.
Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
Firstly it may be easier for you to work from a tower as opposed to a ladder, providing the paint work is not heavily soiled a brush down with a stiff bristle brush would be fine, not a wire one. Thin your paint approx 5% and you will need around a 3" brush and a 9" medium pile roller.

Dec

Missed a bit, you will need to keep a wet edge when you are applying your paint so don't stop for cuppa until your finished and avoid painting in hot sunny conditions.

Dec

.............it sounds like this is a DIY job yes?

Please be very careful when using any ladders or scaffold if you are not experienced.

If the house gets a lot of sun, choose a light, reflective colour, and no, like the other fella said, dont do it in direct sunlight.

If the paint keeps fading, why not consider having an exterior wall coating applied to the house on your behalf, would last a lot longer than paint.!

Sponsored Links
If the paint keeps fading, why not consider having an exterior wall coating applied to the house on your behalf, would last a lot longer than paint.!

Because they are a load of expensive tat that is useless?

You have to go with what is the safest, what price do you put on a broken neck?
Pliolite paint is good

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back