Paint hinges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m sure this is a really stupid question, but I need advice.

We’ve just had new doors fitted in our flat. The doors are white primed, and I will paint them white. They have three hinges that are described as Satin stainless steel. The handles are chrome.

What is the correct way to paint? Should I paint the hinges or leave them as they are? The hinges on the old doors had loads of paint on them (not surprising as some were 118 years old).

My feeling is to leave them free of paint but is that wrong?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Lots of ways of avoiding painting them. You can put the masking tape over and cut around with a razor blade, others take the door off completely and spray outside. One smart way I've seen but not tried is to loosen one or two hinges and paint that area if the door then tighten up and repeat with the last hinge(s)

Thanks for all the replies. They all confirm my idea that hinges should not be painted. I'll use masking tape if needed but in general I'm OK at cutting in neatly.

Don't get paint on hinges .
Get some 24mm Yellow frog tape
Carefully slice trough tape top and bottom leaving tape on hinge face.
Can leave on until painted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back