Paint not sticking onto existing paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm absolutely perplexed by this one, as I've painted every wall in the house without any issues.

The hallways though, has got a Dulux silk paint currently on it, much like the rest of the house had. Now I'm repainting it, using Dulux Matt, but no matter what I do, the paint just will no stick.

I can cut in, and then as soon as I go back to brush it out, it drags the paint off the wall and skins up. Rolling is exactly the same but worse, as it just pulls it off causing orange peel

Anyone got any ideas? I don't want to carry on as these are just the small walls, and it's going to be a nightmare on the bigger ones.

Tried sanding one of the walls first as well, but that didn't seem to make much difference either. Have also tried a new tin of paint just in case this one had suffered frost but made no difference.

The Dulux sample rollers we used never had an issue either

Attachments

• IMG-20230820-WA0013.jpeg
    IMG-20230820-WA0013.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20230820_115124439.jpg
    PXL_20230820_115124439.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 32
Sponsored Links
What about if it's left to dry? Can you paint over it then or does it still do the same thing? Zinsser primers are very good for problem surfaces.

What about if it's left to dry? Can you paint over it then or does it still do the same thing? Zinsser primers are very good for problem surfaces.

I can let it dry, as I've got no choice problem is, it needs a real good sand now as it's basically become orange peel.

Which primer would you suggest. I had a look and looks like this is going to get pricey

Zinsser Gardz maybe, they're pretty helpful over the phone as there are plenty to choose from, though someone may be along later with some other suggestions ....

Sponsored Links
Leave the cutting in until the rolled matt has dried.

With regards to rolling- roll quickly and don't over roll, even if you miss bits, wait until the matt has dried. Once the first matt has dried, you should be OK going forward.

Zinsser make some great products but I am not sure that you need them.

Leave the cutting in until the rolled matt has dried.

With regards to rolling- roll quickly and don't over roll, even if you miss bits, wait until the matt has dried. Once the first matt has dried, you should be OK going forward.

Zinsser make some great products but I am not sure that you need them.
This cutting in and going, back over to cut in to the edge was done in seconds. Rolling is the same, roll down, go back up over the wet edge and it just pulls it all back off

This cutting in and going, back over to cut in to the edge was done in seconds. Rolling is the same, roll down, go back up over the wet edge and it just pulls it all back off

I don't doubt you, but I think you will be OK with the second coat.

There may have been contaminants on the silk.

I don't doubt you, but I think you will be OK with the second coat.

There may have been contaminants on the silk.
Father in law has just come round (builder a lot of decorating experience)

Basically just doing the same thing. 2nd coat covering a bit better but still pulling. Expects it'll need a 3rd.

His suggestion is basically to do what you've suggested, however I think I'm going to look into some primers for the landing as it's extremely hard to reach for a an amateur without all the stairs gear, and I'd rather not have to faff with it all up there

Father in law has just come round (builder a lot of decorating experience)

Basically just doing the same thing. 2nd coat covering a bit better but still pulling. Expects it'll need a 3rd.

His suggestion is basically to do what you've suggested, however I think I'm going to look into some primers for the landing as it's extremely hard to reach for a an amateur without all the stairs gear, and I'd rather not have to faff with it all up there

Fair play.

There is a lot to be said for decent telescopic extension poles though. I (ordinarily) only use ladders in stairwells for cutting in, the rest I roll (using extension poles).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back