Paint peeled off in a long strip (not flaky)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

We moved into a house last year and the old occupants had a kids room. They had a few areas in there where they had stickers on the wall of animals. I peeled these off easily and neatly, however in a few seconds (pictured) it removed the paint underneath.

What is weird, is it was almost like paper, but I don't think it is lining paper or anything. But it came off in a really big large section.

My question is how to handle this. Should I sand down the edges and paint over? The wall itself is in really good condition, nicely plastered, no big holes or anything.

faraway.jpg

upclose.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is that bare plaster underneath?

Did the previous owner perhaps not mist coat their new plaster walls?

I have a similar thing happening although I did mist coat after the wall was skimmed. A couple of people in the painting trade have suggested it’s because we’ve used Silk paint after the mist coat.

In the words of the guy at the paint centre “Silk should be banned”… oh well, possible our entire wall could be peeled like paper.

Is that bare plaster underneath?

Did the previous owner perhaps not mist coat their new plaster walls?

I have a similar thing happening although I did mist coat after the wall was skimmed. A couple of people in the painting trade have suggested it’s because we’ve used Silk paint after the mist coat.

In the words of the guy at the paint centre “Silk should be banned”… oh well, possible our entire wall could be peeled like paper.

I'm not sure if it's plaster to be honest, it could be but I'm clueless with things like this.

I painted the patchy bits and after two coats you can't see the lines where it has peeled off so I may just cover it all up as the wall is in very good condition

I also think it may be silk paint. It's really shiny and glossy looking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back