Paint repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was power washing my drive and decided to blast the car , it was obviously a mistake. Its knocked the painted underseal off on the bottom plus another bit . How would I fix this ? Filler then primer then car paint ?
20230324_161926.jpg

Sponsored Links
You may not be able to blend in the new paint. In that case, take the piece off and repaint the whole thing after prep.

That's quite severe, looks like paint around the area has lifted too.

I would visit a body shop for some advice after a physical look. What age and what car too ?

A basic fill and paint might only last week's before more problems occur

Sponsored Links
Paint looks very thick, is there filler there? Sand it back until the paint around that area stops flaking off and is properly bonded, thin skim of filler, sand, primer and paint.

Looks like filler to me, probably why you were able to blast it off with a pressure washer in the first place.

Could be stone chip that hasn’t stuck, maybe because of a historic repair?
Peel off whats loose, etch primer next, followed by thin filler then body colour.
John

It has a strip of rubberised underseal type stuff along the bottom . It's something all polo's of this age have
20230414_172048.jpg

Difficult to blend that yourself, probably better to let a bodyshop paint the entire sill.
If your not bothered then just just prep and paint yourself, it can be easier on a sill if you have a definitive line to mask to.

Gloss paint over filler??!?!?!

Look at the drips and the bumpy surface.

Some kind of previous bodge, surely.

Is that metal or plastic? Unusual for it to not rust. It was likely to have been open to the elements before it flaked off.

Sponsored Links
Back