Paint stored outside - Freezing conditions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just before the cold spell this year, I stored some paint in the alley way. Would it be any good now? It was Delux water based emulsion paint.

Sponsored Links
covered. Only concerned about the freezing weather. I have looked in the container and it seems ok. The liquid / oil was on the top and it seems to be ok once I mixed it.

If I use it, could it have any issues after use?

Sponsored Links
stored out side for more than a few days below freezing it will freeze without any protection

a protected position is less likely to freeze unless theres funneled wind causing extra cooling

is the alleyway generally windy??

was there any protection for the tin or a large amount off material like say many tins and some sacks off wallpaper piled together for example as this will help

There was other junk around the tub. It is a plastic tub. There was another tub under this one and a box of paint over it.

you now need to do the calculations as in
i have £3 worth off paint that may be useless and peel
then work out the value off the actual paint and the possible effort to remove and re-cote if faulty

then decide if any saving from using the paint is worth the risk off extra work

If it's frost damaged it will all separate and go granular. If it's still liquid it'll be OK.

If it's frost damaged it will all separate and go granular. If it's still liquid it'll be OK.

I agree that it is probably OK.

You could use a little and leave it for a day or two to confirm. If it dries OK and doesn't wash off then go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back