Paint stripper for a subframe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a classic mini and was wondering if anyone could suggest a good paint stripper for my subframe.

It's off of the car at the moment and I thought that while it was out I would strip it back and smarten it up somewhat.

Cheers
Tom

Sponsored Links
Perserverence and a jolly tin of Nitromors, Tom.
Best if the radius arms are off and the subframe is completely bare, if you can.
John :)

why not just get it powdercoated? they strip it off for you.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.
Nitromors will work. I will have to see how much it would cost to get powder coated. I'm a bit strapped for cash at the mo, but it would save alot of time and effort.

Cheers guys!

Sponsored Links
powder coating is very hard and brittle, it can shell off if there is any flexing. I would be thinking more about an anti-corrosive primer as the most important thing. Mini subframes are very prone to rust. Ordinary household gloss paint is quite hard wearing as your topcoat.

beware Hammerite, as rust can grow under the paint film. It is also incompatible with other paints and primers.

BTW it is essential to get dirt, grease and rust off, but if the original paint is adhering well, there is no need to strip it off when you are going to repaint. I like paraffin for loosening old oily road dirt.

I used almost everything on mine...and it still rusted away.
High sulphur content steel, you see.
John :)

If you can get it sandblasted and powder coated, try to go for an epoxy based powder. That sticks MUCH better than the polyester powders normally used, but the choice of colours is limited and it's more expensive. As a DIY proosition I've been very pleased that that American "POR 15" stuff. It's expensive, but does seem to do what it says on the tin!

Sponsored Links
Back