Painting a car door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like my old 206 so much that I am going to try to make it look a bit better and keep it a year or two.

The pass door has been damaged and I have bought a used door to replace it with.

The car is a dark green and the replacement door is dark blue. Not the worst clash! But it would be nice to have it green to match the rest of the car!

In the old days when I was younger we could go to Halfords and buy a can of spray paint from a colour chart and get a fairly good match even if the texture was not totally high gloss!

Can that be done now? If not then how much is a Peugeot can of spray paint and how easy to find out the manufacturer's paint shade?

Tony

Sponsored Links
www.paints4you is where you want to be, Tony......excellent products and advice.
You may well need a paint barrier coat though, to prevent blistering.
At the end of the day, how about a search for the right colour door?
Loads of these around!
John :)

Yes look for the same colour door as the car, easier ........

Or, they might swap your other door tail gate and bonnet, not to have the new door looking odd?

Loads of stuff on U-Tube about painting, if you want to go that route.
480 grit paper, then primer, 480 again and colour coat paint.
480 might be a bit aggressive, but use it dry and the finish should be OK.
Wipe with a tacky cloth before painting ...........
If its a metallic finish (with a top coat of clear) I wouldn't recommend painting unless you want to learn a new skill.

Sponsored Links
I'm fairly sure Peugeot stencil the paint code on top of a front strut.

If it's metallic/pearlescent you will also need a base coat and top coat to go on it - neither of which should under any circumstances be of the two pack variety unless you intend to be spraying with an air-fed mask.

Nozzle

I did look at the market place in used doors but it was pretty fragmented with doors all over the country.

I have already bought the door which was about half the usual price asked although out in the sticks but I was expecting to go to collect it and on to see a friend. Collection OK but friend upset after argument with daughter.

So I have the door now and just need to see what I can do about painting it.

Can you still get matched spray cans in Halfords etc. or is it just from the manufacturers now?

Costs?

This car was bought cheaply in pretty poor looking condition but it just drives so well and is very economical and with road tax at just £30 pa it is cheap to run.

Tony

The rattle cans from the usual motor factors will be a poor match, they always are in my (limited) experience. They can look right under one light, but not under a different light.

Paints4u is the way to go, they'll do you rattle cans but the paint is mixed up to specification from the code you provide. The nozzles are better too as they give a fan shape rather than plain old circular. (More even distribution of paint)

Nozzle

You can get an aerosol can holder with a trigger on it which is a lot less painful and more controllable than pressing the button. I sprayed the front of a Citroen XM with an aerosol and was surprised what a good finish I got. Many years ago when cellulose was about 10/- a pint I used to have a spray plant and did quite a lot of painting, the finish I got with the can was comparable.

Peter

Remember Tekaloid paint, Peter?
There was also Tekavite I think ......maybe one was enamel, one was cellulose - again I can't recall.
John :)

Colour match car-to-car seems to be very good, hence as long as its not old enough to have faded if its the right color a door from one car will match another very well.

How east it to touch in a new door I don't know, easy if it flat paint, but very few are these days.

Daniel

The stuff we used John was' Glasso' with a picture of a parrot on the tin.

Sponsored Links
Back