Painting a cast aluminium table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

We have a cast aluminium table in our back garden which is shown in the following album album link

//www.diynot.com/network/Paul205/albums/

It is in good mechanical shape except the paint has dulled over the years, has flaked in the odd place and there is some light surface grime.

I would like thoughts on how to best restore this table. I was considering pressure washing it to remove the grime and then respraying the table in an appropriate paint or a laquer.

Some people seem to use bleach to remove outside dirt (from patios etc) and I would like thoughts on how cleaning would be best achieved.

Thoughts would be appreciated please.

Kind Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not galvanised steel rather than aluminium? Does it weigh a ton?

Use a degreaser on it to get it clean along with the pressure washer, don't use anything caustic as ali dissolves easily.
Spray primer and then two or three coats of paint followed by a clear lacquer top coat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your advice guys. Unfortunately I do not have the energy to have it shot blasted and powder coated as it will cost more than a new table. I am really looking for a hard paint solution

hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush should suffice, then jet this off to remove any loose paint etc. make sure it's completely dry, leave in direct sunlight.

I'd go for Simoniz Tough Black spray paint, or similar, depends really on the finish you want, but personally I'd prefer matt to glossy/shiny.

I have to admit, if it where me, I would do nothing at all. Or maybe if its green, give it a scrub or light pressure wash.

Hit it too hard with anything and you may simply take more paint off.

You could paint it with a clear paint or lacquer (perhaps a matt finish one would be less fussy) but even thats hard to say as without knowing more about what the base paint is its somewhat hit a miss if it would stick or not.

Mainly, to me, it look pretty good! I was expecting a white 70's table with half the paint hanging off.
- In which case I would have said 'pressure wash the hell out of it, sand the bits you can get to, primer bare parts with special metal primer, repaint while, and expect to do it again in 5 years'

Daniel

Heck paint that now and you'll be painting it next year and the year after that & so on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back