Painting ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Couple of wks ago stripped ceiling of wallpaper with intention to artex. Ceiling in good nick so decided to paint. Used Dulux rich matt to avoid having to do several coats. First coat no problems but second coat blistered and peeled both coats but not all over. Advsied by friend of a decorator to sand down where peeled and use pva solution as paint had reacted to paste. Tried this but blistered even worse. Husband spent all day stripping off all paint, do we wash down with sugar soap first then emulsion or wash with sugar soap, seal with pva then emulsion. Please help!

Sponsored Links
I've recently removed a lot of wallpaper and then painted with no problems. What I did was to thoroughly scrub with sugar soap, then rinse until no paste residue left. If the paper was pasted onto bare plaster you need to seal that - not with PVA - but with a watered-down coat of the paint you're going to use. I used Dulux Supermatt which is wonderful stuff. If the surface has already been painted, you don't need the thinned down coat.

If you can't get all the paste off, or you're worred about more peeling, an alternative would be to paper the ceiling with Walldoctor (available from the sheds). This is a lining paper but the finish looks very like a newly-plastered surface.

Cheers thanks. Sugar soaping now and gonna put watered down emulsion on tomorrow night. Will let u know how it goes. :D

Paint went on better this time but has small blisters on one side of ceiling. Put watered down emulsion on first then waited about 6 days before coat of dulux matt. Gonna fill these holes with a bit of pva and paint again. begining to think paint is naff. Gonna use Johnstones for final coat. Def gonna artex in future. :confused:

Sponsored Links
For best results you should roller a thinned down coat of oil based primer, then paint.

Thanks for the advice. Ceiling finally finished and looking fine. Decided I HATE decorating! ha ha

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back