Painting/cutting in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, have put 1700 grade lining paper up in my living room, dining room, landing and stair way, and now need to paint.

What's the best way to cut in against the ceiling, skirting and edges? I'm going to roller the main part and didn't want to have a noticeable change in pattern from a brush.

Also not sure if I made a few mistakes hanging the paper. Have had a few bubbles which have pretty much disappeared now the paste is dry. Is that hanging incorrectly or too much paste? I think I didn't let it soak for long enough either, was only really giving it 5 mins.

Sponsored Links
Thin your paint a little and you won't get brush marks or roller stipple. Wizz round with the brush first and then roller as close as you can get to the edges.

The odds are the bubbles will be back when you paint.

Cheers, Joe. I thought as much, but looking around today, the bubbles have disappeared. So I guess they will appear again when I paint (and hopefully) disappear again when the paint dries.

If you want it all to look the same then just get a good 6" brush and do it all by hand.

It doesn't take that much longer by brush, when you take into account the time cleaning up rollers after wards and going back on yourself all the time.

Lyngarth

Sponsored Links
WHY???

I always use a brush, I have many 6 & 7" flats I use, to me you get a better finish and when you get used to brushing you can work quickly.

Better than going around cutting in then going back with a roller, but thats the way I work, not to everybody's liking but I find it fine.

Lyngarth

If you were any good you'd leave no brush marks - by using not using a brush.

Anyway Lyn I've got better things to do than argue with someone set in her ways.

Cheers Joe, seems to have worked a treat. It's a very light colour anyway so at least it doesn't stick out like a baboon's rear. Pleased with the result so cheers for the advice, and can't believe it was simple as that.

For my next coat or 2, should I water down slightly again or use the paint neat?

I ALWAYS thin paint a little. It comes out the tin thicker than you want so you can tailor it to your needs. I usually thin by about 10% and that means I don't get 'roller stipple'. Try it - you'll get pro results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back