Painting Door - Wood Resin!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Well my parents are having a bit of a 'mare with one of their interior doors. It's an original door in an Edwardian house. It was stripped and varnished sometime in the 1980s as so many were... Now they want to paint it white but are having a major problem with what appears to be resin from the wood soaking through the paint. They have tried wood knotting but that hasn't helped. Photo enclosed. What would be the best product to deal with this?

Thanks!

IMG_0991.jpg

Sponsored Links
Try Zinsser BIN. Similar to knotting but miles better two coats at least and clean up brushes with methylated spirit.

Try Zinsser BIN. Similar to knotting but miles better two coats at least and clean up brushes with methylated spirit.

I would probably try BIN as well but would recommend cleaning the brushes in household ammonia. Unlike the meths it dissolves the BIN rather than just diluting it.

I just leave the brushes to soak for a while and then rinse them under a tap. The container is left outside until the next day, by which time the ammonia has evaporated and the powdery white water can be safely poured down the sink with out any fuss.

The only downside is the smell of the ammonia. One the upside, it even works if the brush has gone hard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

We'll give Zinsser BIN a try.

it is a great product but be aware that it is very difficult to get a decent finish with it, it dries soooo quickly. That said, you only need coat a very small area. They also have a spray version that might be better. AFAIK both are shellac based. The spray version does tend to clog, so keep a needle close to hand.

Regardless of which you opt for, please do let us know how you get on. It will help us and other site members.

Ta

Neither the paint or spray versions are cheap though.

BTW have you been using oil or water based finishes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back