Painting frames around textured glass - any tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's tricky enough painting around flat glass, for windows and doors - but now I'm faced with some very bumpy textured glass, like this:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3zycNqfkX1-1Mnkt2RO6knk4LAPfFTNO9BNGjD17Nxv7_MMQ1

Are there any clever ways to achieve a straight edge against this? It's on an inside door so I don't need to be so careful about sealing the joint. I thought about painting it as best I can (in white, in this case) and then running a bead of caulk or sealant down to give a final straight edge - but this just suffers the same fate as the paint and ends up being distributed into the topography of the glass.

My next idea is to apply thin pre-painted strips of wood around the edge of the glass, as a secondary bit of trim, so that I never actually paint on wood while it is against the glass. However, I suppose that this won't sit flat against the glass (because the glass itself is not flat!) and may not look right.

Any ideas or do I just have to be really, really careful?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried Frog tape? I haven't tried it myself but this is the sort of thing they advertise their tape for.

Or you could try masking tape (really well stuck into all the little bumps) with a small bead of caulk (again really well worked in) then paint and pull off the tape.

If you do try Frog take let us know if it was any good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back