Painting lining paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've hung the lining paper and left a 1-2mm gap between each roll as advised. My question is what should I use to fill the gaps? I've tried Polycells's "Fine Surface Polyfilla", but this doesn't give me a smooth, flat join. It's just gone from a deep gap like this

[code:1]
| |
| |
| |
|__|
[/code:1]
to a shallow one like this
[code:1]
| |
\_/
[/code:1]

Can anyone advise/help?

Sponsored Links
simon w said:
I've hung the lining paper and left a 1-2mm gap between each roll as advised. My question is what should I use to fill the gaps? I've tried Polycells's "Fine Surface Polyfilla", but this doesn't give me a smooth, flat join.

Whoever advised you to apply lining paper this way is incorrect. It should be butt jointed. Big mistake I'm afraid.

simon w said:

So........how's it working for you then?

You've been wrongly advised simon w.........that's why you're in a mess.

You might just get away with filling it then emulsioning it but you're then dealing with 2 different surfaces, (smooth filler and lining paper)

During my apprenticeship and 30 plus years self employed.....I have NEVER needed to fill joins on lining.

Sponsored Links
sorry simon w Growler is spot on. You may get away with leaving a small gap if wallpapering over but not paintng. The people who told you are wrong. Off hand I cannot remember the lining instructions saying that you should leave a gap, (not the paper I use any way) Apart from starting again the only way out that I can see is to fill the gaps with Tetrion, Rub down carefully, paint over the filler with Zinser 123 to try and stop the filler sucking in your paint then paint with as many coats as required to block out the two different surfaces. Come across this sort of thread time and again DIYERS all say you leave a gap. You don't. Also some have said not to line because it looks worse after. Not if its done properly. Only take advice from a decorator when doing this sor of work not diyers or ther trades and you will save yourself some time and money.
Hope that all helps and good luck.

Just seen the thread and the person who said to leave a gap. He was asking for work in earlier posts :rolleyes:
Someone pulled him up later and asked why leave a gap :oops: Also minimum 1200 grade in my book. 800 is like tissue and covers nothing

Fill it with interior trade polyfilla using a plaster's float - takes minutes. A light sand with fine paper then emulsion. Does indeed give a flawless finish. Better than a faint joint line that is visable more often than not. Sounds like you might want to mix the filler a little thicker.

Oh no, i need to agree with "Growler" on this one. Sorry "Simon w". However, it does state on some instructions on Lining Papers to leave a 1mm or 2mm gap. It also states this on some wallcoverings that have to Lined prior to hanging. To be nonest ALL compainies that state that 1mm or 2mm gaps needed are all WRONG. God i would be asked to leave someone's house if i left 1mm or 2mm gaps ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

What's done is done. It's taken me long enough to get to where I am now and the girlfriend would have a fit if I suggested that I start again.

Thanks for the suggestions on what to do next, I'll get some more supplies after work tomorrow.

Perhaps I'll post here before starting my next project :)

Oh, just Si is fine ;)

I agree with all the above..

Bit of a misconstrued folk tale really.

Yes...you should leave a hairline gap when you are lining... IF you intend to paper over it.

And the smallest gap you can manage a lot of people see 2mm and leaves gaps that wide when they could have done them smaller.

If you intend to paint over it then why leave a gap?..if you can get the joint perfect then leave it at that.

You have to careful also if you fill it because the filler, when rubbed down can leave a flatter area on the paper...or you might scratch the paper too when rubbing it down.

So if you do fill in future make sure you paint the wall first to stop the filler soaking into it and avoid scratches when you rub it down..dont over fill the area touch the rubbed down filler up with a roller and not a brush because it will leave a different pattern on the wall and make sure it has two coats after.

Crown Anaglypta lining paper used to say on the label butt if painting leave a gap if papering.

I'll be using lining paper in a week or so , so glad I read this thread!

Been to b & q who have 800 and 1000 grade paper (b and q value own brand, any good?), don't have 1200. would it be best to use 1200 as someone suggested on this thread or would 1000 suffice to cover the old but smoothened plaster? cheers

If the wall isnt to bad then id go for 800 grade..the higher the courser the finish on the lining paper.

^ thanks

any ideas if the b & q lining paper is any good?

Personally, I would always go with 1200 or 1400 paper - they do even make a 1700. Not avaliable at B&Q but should be avaliable from a local decor store or trade supplier - or online - 1200 and 1400 do not cost much more.

They provide good cover for inperfections, and being thicker are easier to manage when wet with paste.

Oh, and no gaps is painting - ignore what it says on the instructions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back