1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting mixed metals bench

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by bsr, 26 Apr 2020.

1. bsr

bsr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello, this bench seems be a mix of nonmagnetic stainless steel (sides) and some other sort of steel that is magnetic and rusts. Could be mild, dunno. I have no idea why you would make a bench partly out of stainless and then cover it in paint. Any ideas?

Anyway, what's the best way to paint it? I'm getting a quote for blasting and powder coat but expect the cost will be prohibitive. Hammerite doesn't go onto stainless and my recent experience with it has been poor. What's the best way to strip and the best paint system to use? Wire brush on a drill and exterior gloss? Rattle can of car paint?

Thanks

bsr

2. Sponsored Links
  3. bsr

bsr

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If blasting is out of the question I think I’d get the remainder of the paint off with Nitromors or similar, or maybe flap discs with an angle grinder.
    Then, one coat of etching primer for the stainless, another cost of ordinary primer then a top coat of your choice.
    Hammerite smoothrite spray should be fine, but definitely not the brushing variety.
    John :)

Sponsored Links