Painting mixed metals bench

bsr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, this bench seems be a mix of nonmagnetic stainless steel (sides) and some other sort of steel that is magnetic and rusts. Could be mild, dunno. I have no idea why you would make a bench partly out of stainless and then cover it in paint. Any ideas?

Anyway, what's the best way to paint it? I'm getting a quote for blasting and powder coat but expect the cost will be prohibitive. Hammerite doesn't go onto stainless and my recent experience with it has been poor. What's the best way to strip and the best paint system to use? Wire brush on a drill and exterior gloss? Rattle can of car paint?

Thanks

bsr

Sponsored Links
DSC_0110.JPG

If blasting is out of the question I think I’d get the remainder of the paint off with Nitromors or similar, or maybe flap discs with an angle grinder.
Then, one coat of etching primer for the stainless, another cost of ordinary primer then a top coat of your choice.
Hammerite smoothrite spray should be fine, but definitely not the brushing variety.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back