painting moulded doors - gloss v satin and satin confusion

2db

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So we could decide how to paint all our doors, we painted one in one coat gloss, one in satin - very little difference in the sheen, although the quality of the finish was much better with satin being was so much thinner paint.

Having painted 4 out of 5 doors, when the last one was painted, the satin sheen result was very different (I'd say 50% between matt and gloss - which was what I would have expected satin to be!). All painted with the same tin of paint, same type of door, same surface etc etc.

So, my question is, why did the first 4 doors all come out almost like gloss?

We're happy with the end result of these, but they don't match the newly painted one (which I view as 'proper' satin)

And to follow up, what's the best way of rescuing the last door - would thinning the one coat gloss and painting be the best approach, or getting something like liquid gloss be a way to save the day (and make all the doors look the same)?

d

Sponsored Links
was the last door in a particularly dark area?

could the brush have had some white spirit left in it?

could you paint a bit of similar scrap wood with the satin paint and see what finish you get then?

what about buying another smaller tin of satin and try using that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back