Painting on A cieling (with hairline cracks)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

I was hoping some of you may be able to help me.

I live in a council block (top floor, flat roof), and am in the process of redecorating.

I'm currently re-doing the toilet, and have stripped the wallpaper and ceiling paper, to start afresh. However, once the paper was taken of the ceiling, I noticed a few things.

1) There is a fine white powder covering a pink plaster underbelly, and easily coats one's hand when rubbing over it. Should this be washed off? Or just ceiled with some thing like pva glue watered down before repainting.
2) There are thin hairline cracks along the ceiling, with what appears to be a salt deposit along them creating a small ridge. What would b e the best paint to use, to paint the ceiling and prevent this sort of crack from re-appearing later on. (It could be a leaking roof, but the council will not invest money in fixing some thing that small due to the "decent homes act" apparently replacing all of the roofs once it gets to this block).
3) When stripping the wall paper from the walls, there is a pink (over green) layer, that reminds me of some thing similar to latex, I think this is a water imperviable layer. What is this called, so that I can repaint the area's that have had large area's removed.

Thanks very much for your pacience and advice :)

Doug

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back