Painting on plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just had walls re-plastered and am wondering if I need to apply a special coat before emulsion?

Or

Will normal Homebase OneCoat emulsion suffice?

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
You must prime new plaster with either a plaster primer or mist coat before painting or your paint will not stick properly. I use a cheap (own brand) matt white emulsion thinned 25-30%, apply 2-3 coats in quick succession, leave overnight to dry. Fill any blemishes, re-prime & then apply your chosen paint finish.

Thanks for the response!

You hear mixed messages on whether you need to prime, so I'm grateful to hear from an expert and I'll go ahead and prime.

Thanks,
Tom

Tom.

You say that the walls have just been re-plastered, if so you will need to allow the skim to dry out before you paint them.

Dec.

Sponsored Links
Richard's slipping - he ALWAYS says that. Decs the new Daddy.

Hi
I've just had walls re-plastered and am wondering if I need to apply a special coat before emulsion?

Or

Will normal Homebase OneCoat emulsion suffice?

Thanks,
Tom
i find it best to thin down the colour i am using with 25 percent water on first coat then one full coat saves giving it three coats.

Hi
i find it best to thin down the colour i am using with 25 percent water on first coat then one full coat saves giving it three coats.
You’re missing the point of the 2-3 wash coats. New plaster will suck better than anything you’ve ever experienced :LOL: it needs water to get the paint into the plaster pores & give good paint adhesion that will last. Giving 2-3 wash coats in quick succession keeps it moist & gives much better adhesion, it’s not about saving time but you won’t save much of that anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back