Painting on top of plastered PVA sealed walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Walls were plastered 4 months ago, have been sealed with PVA- Can I paint on top with a diluted emulsion? Or do I have to remove the PVA as specks of paint seem to be peeling off when top coat is applied. Paint being used is Dulux Vinyl Silk

Sponsored Links
Not PVA again :cry: sorry it`s a big mistake - but you might be able to salvage it with a coat of Zinsser :idea: then bin the Vinyl silk and go for a vinyl matt ;) Ask in the Decorating forum too

Try giving a small area a sand down then mist coat it before you send any more hard earned cash on stain block.

Cheapo oil undercoat will sort it every time. Cheap as chips. ;)

Sponsored Links
Cheapo oil undercoat will sort it every time. Cheap as chips. ;)
just a case of giving it a good base to paint onto then? Like doing the woodwork, never had to sort this problem out before and quite frankly have never seen or heard of plaster being pva'd before until I joined this forum, who or what is making people have this idea of doing such a thing.

PVA works well as a sealant if it is a weak enough mix, in fact it is very good. The problem is that people put it on way too thick and it becomes a shiny plastic coated wall that you can't paint with emulsion.

My decorator used zinsser BIN to cover where he couldnt remove glue stains. He used a roller to zinsser but only in certain places, he has emulsioned over the wall 3 times but the zinsser stills shows through. What can we do? Thanks

EDIT. Sorry if this seems to be trying to hijack thread. I have reposted so can this be delete.

Walls were plastered 4 months ago, have been sealed with PVA- Can I paint on top with a diluted emulsion? Or do I have to remove the PVA as specks of paint seem to be peeling off when top coat is applied. Paint being used is Dulux Vinyl Silk

Did you follow the instructions on the PVA re dilution for sealing plaster?

surely no PVA manufacturer tells people to put glue on a surface they hope one day to paint?

Yep, I used it once following the mfr instructions for dilution and it seemed to work ok. But it seems to be advised against by most.

There aren't many people left who recommend it.

Most have been killed by angry decorators.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back