Painting Outside With No Undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys and girls

My hubby started on painting outside the house and did not use an undercoat. The woodwork was in genrally good condition and he just applied to coats of leyland gloss

Should undercoat have been used and what do you suggest we do now? Should we put on a further coat of undercoat and then gloss on top or just leave it as it is?

Your advice is appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that he applied two coats of Leyland gloss to new/bare wood, or to previously -glossed woodwork?

And was the gloss he used oil based or water based?

Do you mean that he applied two coats of Leyland gloss to new/bare wood, or to previously -glossed woodwork?

And was the gloss he used oil based or water based?

hi - we used gloss on previously glossed woodwork and it was an oil gloss - leyland exterior gloss

Only one coat was used and we now are not sure of whether to add a second gloss coat or to put undercoat on top and then gloss

Do you have any advice?

My advice would be to leave it a week to cure then do a scratch test with your finger nail, if it comes away then give it a good sand then undercoat and gloss.

Sponsored Links
My advice would be to leave it a week to cure then do a scratch test with your finger nail, if it comes away then give it a good sand then undercoat and gloss.

It needs a second coat - Can I get away with another coat of gloss after a week or should I stick undercoat on and then gloss after?

Thats where I am getting confused about

New gloss onto old gloss often peels off, which is why sanding down (the boring bit) is really essential.
Once the new paint has fully dried, follow Mr Pigeons advice....if it seems sound, then a gentle rubbing down followed by another top coat should be fine.
John :)

The advice above assumes that OP put the gloss onto previously painted wood. If it was onto bare/new wood, I wouldn't expect it to last long, outside.

If OP answers the question, we can help more usefully.

The advice above assumes that OP put the gloss onto previously painted wood. If it was onto bare/new wood, I wouldn't expect it to last long, outside.

If OP answers the question, we can help more usefully.

Hi

It was previously glossed woodwork. Should I try and put on another coat of gloss after a week like has been suggested once it has cured and I have done a scratch test?

Mind you my nails are quite long and sharp so I might get through the paint easily

It's up to you. To be on the safe side you should really sand the gloss down again when it's completely dry, then apply two coats of flexible undercoat and one of gloss.

But life is short and as long as you aren't expecting it to last more than about 3 years, then just sand lightly and gloss it again.

Did he sand the old paintwork before applying the paint?

If not, the new paint will peel off, and will be a total nightmare for the next painter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back