Painting over cooking oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My husband managed to cover the kitchen ceiling with cooking oil when it all splattered out the pan on the hob. There's hundreds of drops on it looking a real mess. I tried painting over them this afternoon with emulsion only for them to show through again.
Any ideas around this before I kill him? I have zinnsser perma white mould resistant satin paint which has a built-in primer. Would it work covering the stains and then applying emulsion?
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't care but he used to be a chef! No excuses . :LOL:
Thanks - would you recommend something like zinnsser B-I-N?. Really don't want to do whole ceiling as it's quite an area so would just be dabbing it on.
(Tried the zinnsser perma white on a small bit but didn't work)

Have you tried kitchen paper held to the wall with an iron?
It may help to draw the oil out of the paint

Obviously don't set fire to the paper/ get the iron oily or scorch the paint

Sponsored Links
Hi Emma
Go for the Zinsser BIN, being based on shellac (soluable by methylated spirit) it's the best stain covering compound there is, in my opinion.
Better than the 123 mix, which is water based.
John :)

Thanks John - I'll see how it looks in the morning then order that if needs be. Nice to hear from you again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back