Painting over damp and peeling paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a large kitchen to paint in the next few weeks. It was last painted by the previous owners, maybe 8-10 years ago.

As can be seen in the second photo, some of the paint has peeled off. The same sort of peeling has occurred in a few small places in the kitchen.

As can be seen in the first photo, there are some brown water marks from a leaky roof - this has now been repaired.

I therefore have two "problems" here to deal with in terms of achieving a good, consistent finish throughout. Can anyone give me any tips?

Thanks very much.

Christopher

Attachments

• IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Zinsser BIN the water stains.
Then emulsion.
It maybe condensation on the other peeling paint areas by looks of it. Low corner spot gets no airflow.
Don't look like it's damp as plaster looks fine vs salts and stains

Possibly where the bare, dry plaster is - possibly a mist coat wasn't used.

It could also be that they put a silk/satin/eggshell paint on- is the paint that's coming off slightly more shiny than ordinary Matt emulsion? Or if you paint over it, does it start to bubble or peel? If it does, that sucks, because you'd probably need to sand it (or scrape it) so you can start again. Hope you can get it sorted easily

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help! I'll investigate the peeling paint a bit more, I am not too sure.. it is only a tiny proportion of the whole kitchen so I don't want to scrape everything off.

You could try just sanding the affected area and seeing what happens or doing what Wayners suggested? Very best of luck with it, whatever you choose to do

Given that it was a long time since the last painting, paint peeling isn't extraordinary. You can simply peel off as much of the paint peel as possible and repaint. If the peeling is persistent on a dry surface, then you can use primer. Nothing can stop the peel on a substrate surface that gets wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back