1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Painting Over Damp Stain

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by NLM1990, 9 Sep 2017.

1. NLM1990

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a damp stain caused by crack on exterior wall which I've sorted out and now im left with the damp looking stain to sort out.

What do you all recommend I do to tackle this issue in terms of sanding down and what type of paints I need for the job?

Thanks.

2. Doggit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can either cover it with oil based undercoat, or use a more modern equivalent like this. Then you paint as normal once it's dry.

3. NLM1990

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  4. Doggit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, it's solvent based, but as the screwfix can is cheaper, how big is the stain.

5. chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    oil based undercoat is the old way there are better products out there now, the screwfix stuff is OK and can work I have used it plenty of times, it's probably better than the undercoat. If the stain is quite severe/maybe still a bit damp then something like Zinsser BIN, which contains shellac might be needed or even Zinsser Gardz which will cover just about anything

6. NLM1990

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've tried the Zinsser BIN in the past and I applied it to the wall when on the bare plaster after I sanded it back and I found that when I then applied two coats of the coloured matt paint which is Dulux 'Timeless' which is a slighly off white and it wouldn't paint over the Zinsser BIN without it showing through.

Did I do something wrong?

7. chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    how many coats, as it is shellac based it does dry a bit shiny and can take a few coats to stop the sheen showing through.

8. NLM1990

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I only gave it one coat.

What about using Zinsser 123 as it sounds like it has similar stuff to the BIN but its water based not oil or am I just better off using an oil based undercoat?

9. NLM1990

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  10. chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If it is just a stain and completely dried out then 123 would probably sort it. As for your previous attempt one coat of emulsion really isn't enough stain or no stain

11. NLM1990

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the wall is still a bit damp.

Am I better off in this case to use an oil based undercoat or the spray you mentioned then a couple of coats of emulsion to sort it out?

12. chappers

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    your best bet would be to let it dry some more, at least until it feels dry on the surface then I would use BIN to be sure