Painting over varnished door frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I intend to paint some previously varnished door frames (quite dark). I intend to use Crown Trade paints. Full undercoat oil based and Satin also oil based.

Apart from keying the frames am I missing any trick for sealing (?) any colouring from the stain/varnish that may decide to bleed through?

TIA
OchAye

Sponsored Links
You shouldnt have any problems as the paint will be oil based and the original stain and varnish will almost certainly be the same. You wont get any bleeding through. You migh however need an extra coat of undercoat prior to your final finishing coat going on.

Yes I agree, the important thing to remember though is the stain/varnish is not only acting as a topcoat but also as a knotting solution.

Therefore sealing any resinous bleed, so it is very important not to breakthrough the varnish when abrading the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back