Painting plastic trunking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can you paint plastic trunking? If so what prep is needed? When we had a new boiler fitted the engineers hid the pipes with white plastic trunking. I'm wanting to paint the wall and match the trunking with the same colour. Thanks. Phil

Sponsored Links
Yes.

It usually takes paint fairly well but if emulsion doesn't stick, sand the trunking gently with very fine sandpaper.

No sanding required, 1 coat Zinsser bulls eye 123 followed by colour coat (not sure what your painting walls with)

I use non-drip gloss and it works fine. If dirty, rub the plastic with wire wool and white spirit, and wipe dry. Load the brush fairly well to give a full flowing coat. Some of mine has lasted over 20 years in exposed outdoor conditions and adheres well though the gloss has gone dull. It works just as well with plastic waste pipe, meter boxes etc

If you paint mini-trunking before fixing (this is especially easy with the lid) you will not get paint marks on the walls.

Sponsored Links
I'll be painting the walls with emulsion (probably Dulux). So i would prefer to paint the trunking with the same just so the finish is the same. Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back