Painting rusty car park fence need help fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I work for a man who does all sorts of jobs lol and we are currently painting a rusty car park fence which we completly misquoted and I was wondering does anyone have tips on how to speed up this job

there is 23 mini fences that make up overall fence i can paint about 2 fences a day they are about 2 metre high and are metal and rusted

My process is to remove all flaking paint with a wire brush , then use a wire brush and sandpaper to get rid of the rust , after that i paint the rust with a primer and then paint the fence with a paint brush ?

Someone suggested using a paint mitt do u think this would help ?

Sponsored Links
you can use a roller. this is also very fast on wire or mesh fencing and trellis.

you might consider using a wire brush to remove rust deposits, then Kurust for speed, instead of sandpaper. It will kill the remaining rust and rustproof the surface provided you repaint it quickly. It is a chemical treatment you can get at hardware shops or motorists toyshops. Wear gloves and goggles as it is acidic.

you don't want rust continuing to grow under your new paint as it will lead to complaints.

How much did you quote? Kurust is extremely expensive.

Sponsored Links
bah, hammerite!

it looks OK but is very difficult to repaint.

worse, the rust continues to grow and spread, unseen, underneath it.

bah, hammerite!

it looks OK but is very difficult to repaint.

worse, the rust continues to grow and spread, unseen, underneath it.

should be ok iff you remove the loose rust
rust only spreads if the air can get to it

Smoothrite not hammered :idea: hammered can pinhole - use a mitt and slap it on - might just save the job ;)

Have gone off Hammerite..
<prefers >Blackfriars qd 90 .. or combi colour ..vg and cleans up with white spirit..

It sounds like prep work is taking you a lot of time. If I were you I'd get a wire brush cup attachment for an angle grinder (or something similar) and whip the old paint and rust off with that.

Wire brush on a grinder on a mesh fence? You serious?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back