Painting Steel Siding.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a house that has horizontal steel siding / cladding covering the 1st floor. It's looking a little tired and dirty in a few places and is flaking off in some other areas.

There is a slight texture to it and I assume it's galvanized.

What the best procedure and products to clean where possible and paint where needed?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Not sure whether it is galvanised, but it does have a plastic type coating to it.
If it had a light sanding after cleaning you would probably be able to undercoat and gloss it without any problems.

Cheers for that.

It's more of a matt finish than a gloss. Any ideas on what products to use?

Firstly you will need to clean down the surface prior to the application of any paint system, take a look at Plastidip HFC systems these perform well in situations such as yours.

Dec

Sponsored Links
You can also take a look at Krylon, yet it would be usful to know which product you choose to use.

Dec

I'll update once completed. It may just be easier to sell the house though and get one made entirely of bricks!

Think I'll give the Plastidip HCF stuff a go.

Well Plastidip is well up to the job, yet good prep here is essential.

Dec

UPDATE:

Finally got round to this. Cleaned up a few areas, primed with Plastidip primer, then 3 coats of white Plastidip HCF. Seems to have gone on well. Just doesn't match the existing. I need a more matt finish. Back to the drawing board.

Ben,

You can't apply a new paint system and expect it in your case to match a weathered surface, what I believe you have there is plastic coated steel cladding. when this was first installed, it would have looked both shiny and new, and now it has both aged and weathered, and you cant buy weathered paint.

Dec

I Suppose not. I'm going to try some of this Plastikote stuff, as it has a matt white option.

Hopefully will be a little closer to the original effect.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back