Painting under DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have some very bad brickwork under the DPC that needs covering!!

I e-mailed Sandtex to ask if I could use their products under the DPC and got this response;

Thank you for contacting us via the Sandtex website.

We wouldn't really recommend this as the paint system will not last due to the excessive moisture. As far as I know there is no paint system that will stick because of this problem.

I'm sorry I can't be of any more help but if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us again,

Kindest regards,

Can anyone suggest what paint I can use or do, I really need to cover the dodgy brickwork up with something!!!!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any paint will be blown off by moisture rising from the ground - it will start to peel at the joints and then start to bubble off from there.

It only works if the existing brickwork does not soak up a great deal of moisture and the ground stays relatively dry - in which case any exterior paint will do

There's no problem in doing it, but be prepared to go over it every few years, or you end up with a bigger mess than it is now

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. Are we talking every couple of years? That seems ok to me, I currently do the shed every year!!

It is only a small area so every couple of years will be easy.

Do I need to prepare it with anything special?

Scrape off any loose stuff and remove lichen etc. Also repoint any bad or powdery mortar. And probably best to paint when the bricks are dry

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back