Painting walls that will later be skimmed...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - hope you can help with a bit of a dilemma we have!

Our house needs a lot of work & we're currently juggling the various tasks against our dwindling budget... :( We've stripped several rooms back to plaster & nearly all of them will need skimming over at some point - so we're now assuming the whole house will be the same.

However, we can't possibly afford to have all the skimming done at once (And there's other challenges, such as a new bathroom & full rewire, which take priority!) - so, my question:

Can we paint over the old plaster with basic emulsion - not gloss or vinyl! - just to make some of the rooms look nicer for the time being, or will this cause our plasterer a problem when it comes time to skim them?

It's likely we won't be able to have the last of the skimming done for 2-3 years - so a long time to live with bare plaster walls! - but if it's going to cause a real headache when they're skimmed, I suppose we'll have to live with it...

Any advice gratefully received! :)

Sponsored Links
so, my question:
Can we paint over the old plaster with basic emulsion - not gloss or vinyl! - just to make some of the rooms look nicer for the time being?
Yes, when it comes to plastering over painted surfaces it's just a matter of removing flaky paint, light sandown to key helps and priming the surface with PVA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back