Pampas grass removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any tips on removing a pampas grass stump? Its about 1 metre in diameter!! massive thing.

Not sure how to approach it, I want grass to grow after I remove it so I am not sure about using weed killer etc......

Sponsored Links
Do you have enough room to burn it. If so burn it down, then dig the roots.

Tried to burn it at the weekend, but smoke was v intense and I'm sure neighbours would go nuts!

Do it when its dark, the only alternative is to cut it down, that will work a sweat up.

Sponsored Links
As DIYISFUN said, burn it, but you will probably have to wait until the autumn, because as you have found it is relatively 'green' at the moment and so creating a lot of smoke.

The other way to do it so that you can get at the roots is to use a bow saw or pruners to cut through all the stems to about 6-12 inches. Then you can just dig out the roots. You will have a hard time of it and you will be left with a big hole which will need filled.

If you intend to grass over it, make sure you fill the hole in with good quality soil and compact in 2-3 layers. Then water it well and leave it a week to see if it sinks any further. Top up and then grass seed or turf.

No weedkiller is really going to touch it because, the leaves are so tough.

Andrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back