Pan connector to 4inch cast iron pipe with socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the toilet in our bathroom has been bodged before (some other damage to the toilet means it needs replacing) with what looks like a standard finned pan connector siiconed into the socket of the cast iron soil pipe,

Tthe diameter of the pipe suggests it's a 4 inch cast iron pipe but I cannot tell what catagory pipe it is so can't tell what the inernal diameter will be, the house is of late fifties construction if that helps. though buying two connectors isn't to much of a big deal.

Now I know in theory the best practice is to cut off the socket and use a multikwik connector, but would this work without cutting off the socket as there is not that much pipe coming out of the wall. There is also a small height difference (10mm or so) and I cannot find a technical drawing for the multikwik connectors so cannot find out the length of the connectoers. As this is the only toilet in the house the fix needs to be a quick one.

Is there another option that I don't know about or a cast iron socket adaptor/connector out there, some help would be most apprieciated.

Mark

Sponsored Links
I've been all over the multikwik site but I think you might have to be registered to get tech data, but thanks.

I had a similar job. In my case, there was no chance of my cutting the redundant socket from the asbestos-cement soil pipe, but I needed more length.

I got round this by using two genuine Multikwik fittings. One was the (off-set) pan connector to the toilet I needed, the other was the long cut-to-fit soil extension piece straight into the narrower bore of the soil pipe.

Apparently the extension I used was designed so it could be used in conjunction the pan connector without a Multilink. I hope this was right!

The exact bore was relatively unimportant as the Multikwik had a bit of tolerance (but in my case I had the old toilet off first, so I could, at least measure up).

Travis Perkins was offering free refunds, so, although I was DIY at the time, I just bought a few parts and took back the left-overs.

2 years on, no problems and it looks tidy.

Sponsored Links
If at all possible, save yourself a lot of trouble by replacing the section with a plastic connector and pipe. I don't know your pipe layout but it's not too difficult to cut the cast iron outside and connect some new black plastic pipe using a rubber connector. The connection to the toilet will then be easy and less chance of leaks and blockages.

Doh, the rare time I didn't even check the original OP's post date. That'll teach me :oops:

Thanks Denso :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back