Panasonic Bread-maker SD255 Power Cable Damaged

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The power cable on my Panasonic Bread Maker SD-255 is badly damaged and needs replaced.

Three issues: I can't seem to find a replacement power cable that isn't American. I need a UK one. Can I use any power cable i.e. for a kettle or other heating element device or does it have to be a specific type?

If you take the bread maker apart is the cable wired in or is it moulded?

Do you take the case off by removing the screws in the legs or some other way?

Would be grateful to hear from anyone who has done this. It's a great little bread maker and I can't afford a new one!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Can you post a photo of the lead/damage/where the cable enters the bread maker?
If the damage is near to the plug end, just make the cable a bit shorter and put a new plug on the end! :)

Unfortunately it's right in the middle of the cable :cry:! I'll try and post a picture but I need somewhere to host the picture. It's asking for an URL and I don't have picture hosting account anywhere - I'll need to set something up.

THbq4P8
Hope you can see this @RandomGrinch

https://ibb.co/THbq4P8

Sponsored Links
@RandomGrinch if I cut the lead at that point the bread maker is basically unusable as the bread maker will be right up against the wall and won't fit under my kitchen cupboards. The only other option is to move it elsewhere in house and make bread on the floor. I usually make bread overnight so this will disturb everyone in the house and with carpets is a potential fire risk. I live in a small cottage so would prefer to make bread in the kitchen if possible but we don't have any kitchen counter space that doesn't have cupboards above it that is near to a plug.

Hopefully everyone can see this now. Possibly was damaged by a hot toaster?

Attachments

• Damaged power cable.jpg
    Damaged power cable.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 77
I *think* that the bread maker hasn't got a detachable lead.
Taking the bread maker apart and fixing a new lead is possible.
A simpler solution is to use something like a 3 core flex connector:
https://www.wilko.com/wilko-3-core-flex-connector/p/5352740

You could even just cut out the damaged section of cable and keep the plug!

Some care needs to be taken though, as the connector isn't waterproof; this wouldn't be something to leave on a wet kitchen worktop!

Due the the proximity of the kettle to the only available plug and the impossibility of changing the kitchen around to accommodate this scenario a non waterproof flex connector is not a risk that Mr AKA is willing to accept as we can't guarantee that the area will be free of accidental spillages.

I have been ordered to stop using the offending machine with immediate effect. IT MAKES LOVELY BREAD. That's the bloody tragedy. Gutted doesn't describe how I feel right now. I HATE the situation of expensive machines which you can't fix. I read on other threads of people replacing complicated circuit board parts on these machines, belts, drives and all sorts. But the one problem I have ISN'T FIXABLE. I really have no luck at all. :cry::cry::cry:

@RandomGrinch this sounds hopeful. I can cope with ugliness. The cable is black and so is the connector.

550 watt according to the specifications listed in the recipe book thing - that's less than a kettle or hairdryer which surprises me. The moulded plug has a 13amp fuse which was fitted at the factory but not sure of that's correct or not. I would have thought a 5 amp fuse would be sufficient as they are supposed to blow if they draw too much power.

I need to do some checking to establish the correct gel filled connector but if people are using them for pond pumps and pressure washers this ought to work!

Thanks for hanging in there for me!

At 550W, that should be fine (y)
Sometimes there can be a bit of surge current when a heating device, or motor turns on - the manufacturers may be playing conservative with the fuse rating.
If you want to try a 5A fuse, go ahead. But be prepared to choose something bigger if the fuse decides to pop!
Good luck :)

Unfortunately, the waterproof flex connector is out of stock for both collection and delivery at Screwfix and the ones on eBay, whilst waterproof, are of unknown origin and MASSIVE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back