Panasonic Viera large screen TV

Sponsored Links
I got this TV wall mounted by removing the covers as indicated in this thread. It did however, require a very wide wall brace. It seems to be holding well.

Great TV's but they use a lot of power. Mine uses 350-500W when in use!

Sponsored Links
but It’s cheaper than buying a new tv of comparable quality.
Not necessarily.
That plasma TV is 385 watts, a comparable size LCD is around 70 to 90 watts.
Around 300 watts difference, if used for just over 3 hours a day that's 1kWh of electricity, or about 30p at current prices.
3 hours a day for a year is well over £100.
6 hours a day use is £200+ per year.

Over the next 5 years, that energy wasting plasma TV could easily cost over £1k more in electricity compared to a modern LCD.

Oh Bugger (n):D

Be interesting to see what the efficiency of tv’s will be in another 6 years... as well as the price

Last edited:
Is Panasonic a really good brand? I also have the interest to buy the latest model tv instead of my old Onida tv.

Is Panasonic a really good brand? I also have the interest to buy the latest model tv instead of my old Onida tv.
Used to be... when plasma was king... my old one is still a good pic on HD.

It has a stand attached to allow it to sit on a table. So I guess that means that it is NOT wall mountable.
All wall mountable TV's have a DIN layout of four bolt hole on the rear, in the form of a square. Size of the square depends on the size/weight of the screen. No bolt hole, it is not wall mountable.

They are good TV's, no one wants plasma now, but fed with HD sources they are great image quality.(y)

They are very power hungry compared to LED, I had a 50 inch in GWO which I gave away a few years ago, rather than pay the power bill to run it as the main TV. They are OK as a spare, or for occasional use.

Sony is about the only consistently 'good' brand, but that's mostly because the company has dropped the cheaper TV lines and focused more on the midrange and top-end sets.

Panasonic makes excellent higher-end TVs using LG OLED panels. So does Sony and Philips. They all use LG OLED panels because LG is the only manufacturer of this type (I am excluding QD-OLED). If anything then, Panasonic, Sony and Philips all produce superior OLED TVs to LG despite using LG panels because all three brands have better video processing than LG.

Panasonic LED is a different case.

The company has been struggling in the budget- and mid-market for a number of years. About 18 months ago it decided to cut the loses and outsource its LED TV production to third party manufacturers. AFAIK, it's still Panasonic designed, and I presume overseen by Panasonic, but the company is no longer making its own sets.

Onida is a brand popular in India. From what I have read it started making TVs in India some time in the late 80s or early 90s. This would be when CRT tube TVs were in full swing. The brand became popular because of a clever advertising campaign. The products have been described as "a poor man's Sony", whatever that means.

Since the switch to LCD/LED I can't see much that distinguishes Onida from a Bush, Polaroid, Toshiba, or any other badged product. There's nothing I have seen so far in any specs to suggest that the Onida brand is better than any other budget LED TV.

Last edited:
I bought one of these second hand yesterday. It weights a tonne!
Well, it weighs about 30 kg

So, if you wish to mount it on a wall, you will need
a strong wall
solid fixings and
an appropriate mounting bracket.

The latter is likely to cost you more than you should have paid for a TV of that "vintage".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back